Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 6th Picture Challenge

I recently read about a new-ish Blog game. Check your images folder for the the 6th photo. I've also seen it to check the 6th folder for the 6th photo (on Lasell's Horsey Therapist blog). I wasn't going to bother doing it at first for two reasons. The first reason, is that I lost all my photos in a hard-drive crash over the summer from a lightening strike. What I do have is recent, only from July of this year, so I didn't think it would be all that interesting. The second reason, is that my folders are very unorganized. I have not taken the time to reorganize them yet, rename them and put them in folders so I can find them, they are just in dated folders. That is my "after-the-holidays, horrible winter weather nothing else to do project".
But I looked anyway, both ways.

Here is my 6th photo:


This is an Appy filly at a broker lot at risk to be sent for slaughter, that Another Chance 4 Horses was trying to get pulled and find a home for. I had seriously considered taking her in. But I had to pass on her, due to our financial situation. It ripped me up. I understand that she did find a home at the 11th hour.


This is the 6th photo in my 6th folder:

At first I wasn't going to bother posting this one. Booo-rinnnng ... just a photo of the barn progress. That's my husband up there on the roof, scaring the crap out of me. I wanted a shot of him before he plunged to his ultimate death (which of course didn't happen). And that is my son by the stall door, doing who-knows-what.
But then for some reason I decided to zoom in to make the photo larger. You can't see it well on this version, because I made it smaller to post here. But take a look off to the far right, where the horses are locked in the upper paddock so they don't get into trouble with tools and open gates while working on the barn. That's Leroy up there, about 3 weeks before he died. Here, I'll zoom in on it for you...

Why is this such a great photo to me? That is Jen there, sharing a hay pile with Leroy. I never saw any of the girls share with Leroy, and nobody ever shared with Jen, either. I thought he never quite managed to worm his way all the way into the herd in the brief 8 months he was here. But I was wrong. I have a huge grin on my face now, knowing that he did fit in, and shared "breaking bread" with his herdmates.
The two of them look so normal, and so happy, and content. Not like the scared, starving creatures that showed up here on a trailer. Its the little things like this that make me happy, and make my heart sing.



No comments: