Tuesday, April 10, 2007

An Easter Miracle

I have known Tracy since we were 6 years old in first grade (I am not going to say how long ago that was). I've known her husband Dave since high school. They were married 6 weeks before we were, in the same church. One of Tracy's brothers was in my wedding. Our families have been intertwined for many years in many different ways.

Tracy's husband, Dave has a genetic heart problem. I don't recall what the name of it is offhand, but that isn't the point of this post. Dave and Tracy (and their two chilren) have been doing battle with this heart problem for many years. Dave has been in and out of the hospital, has had procedures done, hardware installed, seen countless doctors including a naturopath. More recently, it has boiled down to just this: Dave just needs a new heart. No amount of drugs or equipment is going to keep his working.

Over the last couple of weeks, Dave had been admitted to the hospital permanently. His kidneys and liver were failing, because his heart wasn't strong enough to support them. He was bumped up to 1A status for a heart replacement. But of course, you still must wait until one comes available. And you pray. And it bothers you, that you are praying for someone else to die, so that your loved one can benefit from a part of their body.

On Wednesday of last week, as I was doing my usual daily poo-picking chores in the paddock, my mind was wandering as it often does during mundane tasks. I was thinking of Dave and Tracy. And one thought just kept popping into my mind, over and over and over again. It was a statement, I could almost see it in quotes in my head. It said: "Easter is a time of renewal and rebirth. Dave will have a heart for Easter." Over and over, that went through my brain, like a ticker announcing a new sandwich at the local shop.

On Friday morning (Good Friday), I logged into my computer to sit down with my morning coffee like I do every morning, and there was an email from Tracy. Dave had received a heart on Thursday night.

No comments: