Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks




Every year I write a few paragraphs on what I am thankful for. I beleive it is important to give heartfelt thanks. This year, it is going to be harder than other years to give thanks. It has been a difficult year, and we have suffered many losses. I will need to dig deeper than usual to find things to be thankful for.

This year, I am thankful for the health of my family. We are all still going strong, perhaps a year older and with a few more aches and pains under our belts. I am thankful that my children remain healthy and are doing well in school.

I am thankful for friends and family, both those here geographically and those that I have known and befriended through email. Our friends and family seem to always be there when needed the most, and I hope that we have been able to do the same.

I usually give thanks for the privilege of being gainfully employed, but I cannot do that this year. Instead, this year I am thankful for government unemployment, because without it I don't know where we would be right now, but it wouldn't be here.

I am thankful for the companionship of my critters. They give me their love and devotion every day, no matter what mood I'm in or what challenges I'm dealing with that day. They teach me much about unconditional love, and patience. I am thankful for the all-too-short time with Ana and Leroy. They were both taken from us far too soon, but I am humbled by being given the opportunity to share a part of their lives.

Last, but certainly not least, I am thankful for all those special individuals, who give their time, heart and soul to helping those less fortunate than themselves. Those people who save horses from neglect, abuse and slaughter, dogs and cats from neglect, abuse, and the gas chamber, children from unfit homes and other people from unfortunate circumstances. They risk their own comfort, lives, even safety, and their very own soul by subjecting themselves to the daily horror that most of us could never imagine, in order to make a difference.

Thank you.

No comments: